A lot of people say kids aren’t as independent these days, because we don’t LET them. And a new survey looked into how much times have changed.
Over 1,000 parents were asked about five different activities . . . if they’d let a 10-year-old do them today without supervision . . . and if their parents let THEM do each of them at the same age. Here’s what they said . . .
1. Would you let your 10-year-old stay home alone for an hour or two? 53% said THEY did it by the time they were 10 . . . but only 36% said it’s okay for kids today. (Only three states have age limits for leaving kids alone, but most have guidelines.)
2. Walk or bike to school alone? 68% did it . . . only 43% would let their kids do it now.
3. Play in a public park on their own? 51% did it as kids . . . only 26% would let their kids do it now.
4. Play in the yard without an adult. 91% did it . . . 78% would let their kids do it today.
5. Go trick-or-treating on Halloween without an adult? 44% did it when they were kids . . . only 24% would let their own kids do it.
The survey also found that just 60% of kids today enjoy playing outside. Only 1 in 10 said it’s their favorite activity. And overall, the one activity they enjoy the most is playing video games.
Subscribe to Rewind 100.7's blog!
Get the updates on the Classic Hits, concerts, and contests straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.